Brief Introduction of Gate Exam
Last Updated: 24th January, 2017
What is GATE?
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an all India examination that primarily tests the comprehensive understanding of various undergraduate subjects in Engineering and Technology. GATE is conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science and seven IIT’s (IIT Bombay, IIT Delhi, IIT Guwahati, IIT Kanpur, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Madras and IIT Roorkee) on behalf of the National Coordination Board – GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India.
Who can appear in GATE?
Anyone who is currently in the final year or already completed his/her B.E./ B.Tech./ B.Pharm/ B. Arch degree. There is no AGE restriction for appearing in GATE exam. For more detail click here
Why should I appear in GATE?
There are mainly two reason to appear in GATE exam first is Post Graduation from most reputed engineering colleges of India such as IIT/NIT/IIIT and second is high earning jobs in Public sector units such as GAIL, NTPC, BHEL, PGCIL etc. Let’s discuss about them in detail
- What is so special about doing M.Tech or PhD from IIT/NIT/IIIT well not so much If you are already an undergrad student of it but if you belong to some private or state level engineering college then it can be a huge deal for you WHY? Because you will be going to exposed to some of the greatest faculties of India, you will get chance to work under them in some projects and get real life experience, you will get best infrastructure to live and work in.
- It will be totally FREE. See when you qualify GATE you become eligible for 12400/- stipend every month for the next two years during your post-graduation (if you maintain minimum CPI during your course which is different in different colleges) which means your tuition, hotel and mess fees along with your personal expense will get cover from it.
- If you just work hard for next two years there, you don’t have to worry for jobs or internship anymore. Click here for IIT previous years M. Tech Cutoff
- If you are interested in M.B.A then you can use your GATE score for that too. NITIE Mumbai which is one of the most reputed institutes in India with average package of 15 Lakhs / annum offer PGDIE course through GATE score.
- In some case people just don’t want to study further anymore in that case GATE also offers high paying jobs in PSu, lets discuss about it
Job in Psu (Public sector units)
Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) are the companies partially possessed by government that undertake commercial activities on behalf of the government. Numerous PSu such as BHEL, IOC, NTPC, BPCL, BARC, HPCL, etc., are using the GATE score for choosing candidates for their organizations. Click here for list of Psu recruiting through GATE.
I hope now you know why GATE exam is so important. Let me describe it in a funny note
GATE Exam is like a Repentance “paschatap” for all your sin “paap” which you have done in last four years.